M.I.A. Lewd act during Super Bowl - what an embarrassment!
  • http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-m.i.a.-super-bowl-halftime-finger-020912

Controversial rapper M.I.A. may be in breach of contract with the National Football League following her obscene gesture during Sunday’s Super Bowl halftime show.

The British-born artist accompanied Madonna on stage at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and shocked viewers by issuing a middle-finger salute and uttering an expletive while performing “Give Me All Your Luvin’.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Yahoo! Sports this week that the league books all its own talent for the show, and has contractual stipulations with each performer regarding their behavior.

Madonna was reportedly furious with M.I.A. for the gesture that overshadowed the performance, after having invited M.I.A. to join her on stage

So really? this should enhance her career?
  • If that was a lewd act, what was Janet Jackson left tit.

Americans need to get a life.

If the gesture overshadowed Madonna performance, that was the US medias doing.
  • The US congressmen of old, used to show the middle-finger salute.

See US history!

• SHEBA said:

What the $* <=à, Sheba I did not know that U were sooooo good at it! <div class="Video">
  • the middle finger is a rude gesture, but so is making fun of their presidents and his wife's "big ass" as they do on national television.....and the middle finger drew more outrage from them.....I doubt it would have been made into such a brouhaha if she was not coloured.
    Besides its well known that MIA does outrageous things on stage hence she is dubbed "controversial rapper", Madonna knows that, that old bag, why would she be 'furious' now? isn't the reason she perform with people as outrageous as MIA to get herself back into the spotlight?
    Americans like to purport modesty when it is known that they are not.....everything about them is crude, lewd and classless, their choice of conversation, their television shows, their magazines, their constant addiction to other people's personal life, their crude dressing, their lewd news station that makes fun of their president solely because of the colour of his skin

be gone with it with this false modesty
    I would give them the middle finger also
    Life is too short and people from my race (black people) are predisposed to hypertension. So when I comment on this board if you personalize my comments and take it to heart......well lets just say you will provide me with entertainment....and I LOVE to laugh!!
  • Boy look jokes - with allu false modesty (condi Tibah). I often wonder why Americans get themselves all twisted up like that for things most of the world would not take any notice of. I gotta think this is a media creation.
  • wrong is wrong regardless of what side of the fence you're in- if you had a child, I doubt you would tell them it's OK to do it just because you feel a certain way about a set of people- hypocrisy comes in all colors, shapes and sizes

me- I doh give a hoot what side of the fence I'm in or whether I like the Americans or not, whether someone else did it or not, etc., if I think it's a lewd, I'm going to call it like it is..I make no excuses......shoot if President Obama sticks his finger out, he too will be wrong in my book--people too much like to be two faces with their own bigotry- works both ways, wi
  • Sheba, I dont think anybody is suggesting a display of the middle finger is an appropriate gesture. What is silly is the extent to which Americans go into making these rather insignificant events into a major news story. In the mean time there are really important issues that go unreported, particularly if it involved the poor or minorities. Again, I am not sure one can blame the larger population for this brouhaha. I think it may be the media making a bigger deal out of this. I watched the half-time show and I did not see the finger, until I saw the clip a couple days later.

I look at these things as in dealing with a child who is looking to get a reaction out of a parent. You make a fuss about every little thing and it magnifies itself in their mind. If it is insignificant, ignore it and it quickly goes away.

• Queen, President Obama is NOT as foolish as Bush, to go and do something like that!
  • Cactus, people in general and more so the media fester in these types of things...look at the the fuss being made over Checko's song lyrics. I think it's sillier to generalize this as an American thing. Reebs, I was going by the generalization of Americans.

In any event, some people may take offense if children were watching for, example.
  • Ms Sheba, no one said that MIA giving the finger is ok, what is said (well I can only speak for myself) is that Americans give things that they are intended to curtail too much attention - truthfully like me alot of people did not notice the finger giving until it was later mentioned and even then I thought she was doing one of those silly hand gestures that the young and stupid usually do these days.

MIA is known not for her 'talents' but for her love of controversy (and controversy she loves)...there is no need to be appauled by her actions...Madonna knows it hence she performed with her (why else perform with her? other than the attention that MIA controversy would cause?).

And you are right, but Western children are exposed to worse (I can provide you with a list if you so wish)
    Life is too short and people from my race (black people) are predisposed to hypertension. So when I comment on this board if you personalize my comments and take it to heart......well lets just say you will provide me with entertainment....and I LOVE to laugh!!
  • Queen, I overstand your point of views rite from the start, but Madonna of all people was reportedly furious? That girl used to do all kinds of bad things with the cross on stage, while millions of kids watching her do it. And mind you, what Madonna used to do, had nothing to do with sign-language.
  • but my point is that people in other countries take offense at the smallest of things just as much-- just recently India made a big fuss over some talk show host making a comparison of someone's home to the Golden Place...

I think people- in general or the media rather...somebody said Americans need to get a life, so does that mean Indians and Dominicans too right?
  • Sheba, don't equate the Bugging song with this issue because it was not Dominicans who made a fuss about the lyrics, it was A. Ambassador. Dominicans were admonishing him for taking issue with the lyrics.

Compared to other western countries, America is way more conservative. That may explain their horror with things most other western people yawn about. Heck the word "liberal" is used almost like an insult in the States.
  • same principle though yes some were but others were calling for him to change the lyrics
  • America may be conservative, but my point is, it is not exclusive to America.. I can find a whole list of examples pertaining to other countries..
  • *I fell off my chair* dear lord are you guys serious? conservative in word of mouth or in actions?? conservative the political party? or conservative in the thing they say and do? because if America was conservative there wouldnt be shows like the Karshassdian trio and mother, TMZ, the Star and the people on Fox news would be demonstrating some respect....please revise the use of words because I do not like falling off my chair-I've got really tender skin
  • The beautiful thing about America is that the first amendment protects shows like the Kardashians and Jersey Shore. Secondly, America is not a homogeneous country. When we said conservative it was relative to other western countries.

Sheba, don't fall off your chair.
  • Tibs- it's what Cactus said lol hope you're oK
  • please give an example of one of the Western countries s'il vous plait because I would really like to know the other countries comparable to this den of debauchery and evil
  • Tibs, U got IRON!
  • Cacts- I think Tibs question is for you

But speaking of other Western countries as den of debauchery and evil- well we can write a book. Yet, as usual, depends which side of the fence you're in, what you consider evil others consider looking after it's own interest, and what that particular country gives back in return and in the grand scheme of things, others may consider it their best country..
  • Shebs contrary to the hype, they are not going to charge you with an act of terrorism for speaking your mind, so don't be diplomatic when speaking of the US hahahaha you're scared?

• @Rebob: what does that mean Uncle?
  • I mean; you are on the top! :-*
  • Tibs- believe it or not, sometimes I'm one of the U.S. biggest critics. You should hear me at work when I start talking about leaving the good ole U.S. of A., my beloved country...lol when I hear about some of the things going on...but then I look at how so much worse other countries are and I come back to my senses....lol and glad to be in a country with all my freedoms, liberties and rights.

I've never said the U.S. is perfect. I've said that in comparison there are other worse places and that the U.S. is not any different than any other country looking after its own interest. That's always been my point.

I get fed up with the government from time to time too- but who doesn't..lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion